This is a final call to journalists, campaigners and academics to attend our four-day financial investigative journalism training course at City University in London.
The dates for our next training will be: Tuesday 7 November 2017 – Friday 10 November 2017
You do not need to have a financial background to apply but we consider it important when selecting candidates to see evidence of your investigative experience. Class instructions will take place in English.
Over four days, you will be shown how to investigate corporate accounts, offshore activity and corporate corruption. We will show you where to find documents, how to analyze them and other practical tools to help uncover financial secrecy.
A combination of hands-on training and guidance from senior practitioners will give you the basis to investigate financial corruption as well as offering the opportunity to network with other journalists.
The course aims to help participants understand:
- the building blocks of the offshore world
- how to access and interpret company accounts
- where to access other company information
- the methodology behind the groundbreaking tax avoidance investigations into Google, SAB Miller and Vodafone – by the journalists who conducted them
- how to investigate and report corruption stories
- the steps required to keep safe and minimize personal risk
- how to track the international policy agenda relating to illicit financial flows
- how to use Freedom of Information laws in different jurisdictions
Bursaries are available for journalists from the developing and emerging world. Bursaries cover visa fees, travel, accommodation and per diems for food and travel in London. Due to the limited number of bursaries, applicants will be selected on their track record in investigative journalism. As we tend to be over-subscribed some candidates will be placed on a waiting list for our 2018 course.
How to apply
To apply please fill in the online application form. Please do not copy and paste entire articles into the form. Where possible, please provide links or a few lines summary of the article plus date of publication. The deadline for BURSARY application is Friday 10 August at 12h00 BST.
(Please note for campaigners and journalists from Europe or North America, it may be possible to attend this course after the bursary deadline if space is available.)